James 1:27

James 1:27

Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Clinics are Finished


As I type tonight let me set the scene... I am sitting at a table drinking a semi-cold Coke Zero while the hits of the 80's plays very loudly. This is Africa.

Well the medical clinics are finished. We wrapped up our clinic in Kikubo and it was another hard, but amazing day. The team really rallied together and once again stepped up and did whatever needed to be done. Last night after dinner we got together and discussed yesterday and talked about how we might keep things flowing better today. We also prayed as there was some warfare going on. This morning the team was ready and excited to get started.

Les and Sue left to go pick up Jody at the airport in Entebbe. He left on Tuesday to visit South Sudan and arrived back in Uganda today.

Today was filled with chaos and blessings. When we arrived the crowd was waiting and it was bigger. Each team member knew what they were going to do and started setting up. We got the doctors and dentists set up and the wound care station and began seeing patients.

The local politicians brought a list yesterday of people they wanted us to see. We provided treatment to 325. Today they brought a list of another 300. Talk about being a bit overwhelmed because we knew we could not see everyone.

By the grace of God we were multiplied like loaves and fishes. We treated 930 people today in the clinic. This was dental, doctors, eyeglasses, pain management, de-worming and anti-fungal for kids, wound care, etc. This is a miracle. We can do nothing but give God the glory. I am not sure how we did it except to state what we as a team have known this whole trip on good and bad days. It is not us doing anything. It is God working through us.

I do get frustrated by the local politicians. They want us to see everyone and they still bring their friends and family to get in first. My human side overtakes me and I get frustrated, but in all honesty I do not blame them. They only want the best for their people. The nearest hospital is about 8 miles away and when the people go there they walk; if the doctor is in, they stand in line and if he gets to them, they may or may not have the medicine they need. If they do not see him they walk 8 miles home. How can I get frustrated when the local leaders simply want to maximize our team being there so as many people can be treated as possible? Shame on me. I would want the same thing.

The clinics are hard, but even Jesus when he was healing people had to take time away to pray and recharge. Our team is stretched on the clinics, but everyone gives and gives and gives to be a blessing. The team has blessed me by their willingness to give of themselves and ask what else they can do.

It can also be overwhelming to realize that there are so many needs and sickness that our clinics cannot help. But once again I think of Jesus. He healed many, but not every person. Many people were in his presence and were blessed without a physical healing. Our time in Uganda is about more than healing physical ailments.

Dr. Moses asked me to start the clinic off by sharing with the crowds. He is a great man that I love. He has been with our teams since 2007 when he was our driver in Gulu and still in medical school. I pray I was a blessing.

The new kitchen and teacher housing unit are beautiful. The school is so different then when we first visited 2008. It is beautiful! The school that God built. I was talking with some of the children. I know many of them from over the years and I asked if they liked e new classrooms. They said yes and thanked me. I told them we needed to thank God as He was the one who did it. Not us. It was a fun moment to simply sit and talk about my wife and kids with them and answer questions about America.

I am rambling. I am worn out. I am off to bed. Today was amazing. God truly heard our prayers and gave us all we asked and more to make today a witness to His power.

Your team member will have some amazing stories to tell when they get home. Be prepared to meet some wonderful people. My time in Uganda always comes back to people and stories and new friends.
Thank you for your prayers. We feel them for sure.

Good night.
Chris

No comments: