James 1:27

James 1:27

Friday, June 14, 2013

Our Last Day in Uganda


Today was a relaxed day, but still a day of ministry. I believe I was ministered to more than the people we met. I was humbled and staggered beyond anything I have experienced- more than once today.

We started out by heading to the village of Buwenda where Pastor Edward's church is located. We first stopped at the home of Wanita. Recently our church provided the funds to build her a new home. She invited us in and thanked us for her home.  We said a prayer over her and as we were leaving she gave us a gift of a tub of maize. We could not turn it down and offend her, but I had a hard time accepting it. In the world at large she has nothing. Her old home is made of mud and cow dung. She has a dirt floor with no running water or electricity and few possessions; yet, she wanted to give out of what she had to bless us. Wonderful lady who taught me a lot about giving.

Next we visited the home of Patrick and Alice. A couple of years ago I got to work on the expansion of their home. They have 15 children. They have their own and they take in orphans from the village to honor God. We sat and visited and toured their garden. They were both so excited to see us back. What an amazing couple who have a farm and use it to care for children. Again, dirt floors, no running water or electricity and few possessions; yet, they give of themselves.

Then we stopped and visited a former witch doctor who has given his life to Christ.  He is working to turn from his shrines. His sons have threatened him because they do not want him to tear down the shrines, but he is working to leave that life behind and be a new creation in Christ. We prayed for him and visited one of the shrines. He is not repairing them when they are in need of repair. He is a strong man who loves Jesus. He also gave us a gift of maize as we were leaving. Again he has nothing, but grace and love but gives freely.

Next we went on a walking tour of the village to the church. This was a blast. A line of Muzungus walking through the jungle is quite a sight! Many of us stopped at various huts and gave our corn away. It was something I have done only once before.  It really is a wonderful experience to walk through the village.

The church is still a beautiful little light in the jungle. There was not service, but the team got to step inside and pray over the church to continue to be a light in the community. I love this little church that God built through us. I have worshipped there many times and I feel at home.

We took a long ride to the Itanda Falls or otherwise known as the Bad Place. This is the class 6 rapid on the Nile.  It is such an awesome sight. We watched a group raft through the lower part of rapids. Watching made us all of wish we had time to raft. Incredible.

From there we traveled back to the school in the village of Kikubo in the Maygue district. We prayed over the teachers and students. We commissioned the new kitchen and teacher housing. I am amazed at what God has done. My friend Mike has been a tireless advocate for this school and I am honored to work with him and see his faith and hard work pay off. The children are making good grades and the school is a light in community. The children sang us a song of thanks!

Edward's father hosted us at his home for a feast. He prepared us a traditional meal out in front of his home. It was simply a beautiful time with a beautiful family. We were served beef, chicken, matooke, posho, yams, potatoes, rice, watermelon, cabbage, cucumbers, carrots, avocados, jack fruit, and beans.  Good food from a great man and great family.

Then I bought a goat. Never thought I would ever type that. I wanted to bless the family of Viola and Reagan who our family sponsors in Kukibo. Edward's brother went and bought it for me as we ate. Then I walked it down the dirt road to her house. I was humbled. The joy and celebration the family showed was overwhelming. Mama Jessica sang and danced and hugged. I went right along with her. She called me her eldest son. Viola shook my hand and smiled a huge smile. The goat got away and started running off! All the children around began chasing after it. Finally it was caught and returned. I cannot tell you how I felt except to say I was humbled by their joy.


Our time has come to return home.  Our hearts are full. Each team member has been incredible in their passion and desire to serve and love. We told each host we are not saying goodbye, but instead, see you next time. After 7 years that is not an empty promise. They tell us they know we love them and God loves them because we keep coming back.

We treated over 1,200 people in 4 days of clinics. We saw wounds and sickness that could not be treated sometimes even death was certain in the near future.  We prayed with people, took time to engage them and share our love of Jesus with them.  They did the same to us. It was hard, challenging, amazing, beautiful and so worth it.

We do not come to report numbers. We come to love. We come to make a young girl who has AIDS and has been told she is past the point of no return and cannot receive meds feel loved showing her she is not hopeless. We come to give and give and give and leave for home with no regrets. We come to love and the people and the country love us back.

It is time to return home and see my family who I miss dearly. Tomorrow we begin to travel home.

Thank you for your prayers and for following the blog. I pray you have been blessed.
Talk to you tomorrow. I am worn out as is the entire team.
Chris

No comments: