James 1:27

James 1:27

Thursday, June 17, 2010


Today has been another great day. We have spent the day in Layibi at the workshop for pastors and community leaders, teaching and worshiping and learning and loving. The time we spend here is just so incredible. The adults and children are so welcoming and hospitable. They make us feel right at home.

This morning started with singing and dancing. Let me tell you worship in Africa is work! But awesome! The joy and passion, I know I have talked about it before, is just contagious.

We started things off by Elizabeth and Tim sharing their faith journey. They both spoke on Jeremiah 29:11 and did great. Tim is such a great speaker. Seriously he needs to share as much as possible every chance he gets. And Elizabeth is such an amazing young person. She is incredible with the kids. And when she shares it is clear and to the point and full of grace. I am so impressed with her. She is just an amazing young woman. All the ladies engage and connect with her. And again the kids just think she is a rock star!

Mike and I taught about business development and personal finance. I was very nervous to talk about finances as I have a foundation and experience teaching this to Americans, but how to translate it to Ugandan culture. Let me say this section went very well. Mike had them in the palm of his hand. He was funny and really brought business to their level. The questions they asked showed the got it. Mike was typical Mike... Amazing! And the personal finance talk went way better than I expected. The Bible is full of verses and stories relating to money and how we are to handle it. I found some scriptures and shared 5 points. I left them a sheet full of verses relating to money and these 5 points. And the question session was great. They took the scriptures and asked questions relating to their culture and our hosts and I were able to help answer. I felt like this was a great session and I was not feeling good about it.

Once again we spent time with kids. Soccer,bubbles, - just time with them. We let them know we love them. That is why we are here. That God told us to come and hang out with them. Susan is the queen of the kids with Elizabeth her right hand woman. Susan can bring smiles and laughter every time she shares and plays with the kids. She is truly wonderful. She was feeling ill yesterday and is not 100% today but she is here and all smiles!

I did see Jonah in a moment of pure ministry and love and grace. I was moved to tears. Yes he is my son and I am so proud of him. I noticed last night a young boy who was blind; his name is Sandy... (He is the one in the red sleeves in the pic) Sandy is very shy and quiet. When we got here today I saw him come by where we play with the kids and sit down. He was not involved in any of the play. Jonah was playing soccer with Solomon, Steven, and Patrick. These 3 guys are funny, always wanting their pic taken (they love to pose!!!) They laugh at us a lot and ask tons of questions, but they are fun to be around. I went over to them and pointed out Sandy. I asked if they could some how include Sandy in a game. The boys told me that he could not see and could not play since he cannot kick the ball. I asked them to try and find a way to include him because no one should be left out. Just because Sandy could not do one thing doesn't mean he should get to do nothing. I went back over to listen to Mike speak and I saw Jonah lead the boys to Sandy. They began to play catch with him. They would say his name and tap the ball and gently toss to him. He did not catch all of them but he caught a lot! I want to tell you the smile on that young boys face was the face of Christ. He was beaming. Heaven was smiling and weeping at this moment. Sandy will stay with me forever. This moment was simply amazing. Jonah and 2 others were playing a simple game of catch that a blind boy could participate in and that was the reason we are here. He was valued. He was that told he mattered. He was loved by a simple act and I cried. I had to walk around to contain myself. Jonah was encouraging them to include him. Awesome. I later saw Steven take the ball and play catch with Sandy by himself. Here was a boy who told me Sandy was blind and therefore could not play. He was now engaging another boy due to the example of Jonah. Sorry to spend so much time bragging on my son, but this was the hands and feet of Christ. Jonah has been simply amazing! Susan told me later that Sandy was sitting next to her while she was blowing bubbles and she asked Steven to explain bubbles to him. He did and one landed on his cheek. He was able to feel the bubble and then was able to reach out and pop the bubbles with the other kids. See what I mean? Truly a pure moment of God's love. Sandy I love you!!

Genessa spoke on women in ministry and just was awesome. She was able to encourage the women who are such leaders in the church and villages in Uganda. She did a great job of letting them know how God views them and values them; she shared all they have to offer each other and their communities. This talk was much needed and I think they have made Genessa (and Susan and Elizabeth) an official Ugandan woman! She and Tim were even given a blessing by one of the ladies that they would have kids one day. 2 boys and 2 girls! Outstanding Genessa. Just outstanding!

Susan spoke on first aid. I was not able to be there but I heard from our hosts that Susan was incredible. She made things simple and relative to their situations in the village. We left each pastor (25 total) a first aid kit and a copy of the book 'where there is no doctor'.

Jonah also shared about his faith to the workshop. He was very nervous about doing this but was open and honest and great. The translator referred to him as bishop Jonah when he was done!

At the end of the workshop they presented us all with gifts of thanks. The ladies got a small purse and the men got a small drum. Jonah also got a beaded bracelet in the colors of the flag that spells “Uganda”. Amazing to be treated so well. They gave out of all they had. How many times can I be humbled to spend time with my friends.

We headed out and cleaned up (it rain for a bit this afternoon and mud appeared everywhere!) At dinner we had a chance to debrief with our hosts and learn from each other ways to improve the trip for the future. It was really a special time as it gave us time to affirm our hosts and they affirmed us. Rev David, Pastor Titus, Pastor Solomon, Brother Paul are my friends and brothers in the faith. I am honored to serve with them. We then shared communion together. We were in the restaurant with the world cup blaring on one side and a pool hall and bar with music blaring on the other. Flashing lights around and yet it was holy ground. We served each other and shared the sacraments. Special, special time. These men are wonderful brothers.

Well, I am about to fall asleep. Tomorrow we head out early again for the 9 hour bus ride to Jinja. Please pray for us to have safe travel. We are almost done with the ministry part of the trip. We are worn tired.

You should be very proud of your family or friend on this team. I have seen all of them just reach out and love on people with no thought of anything except God loves them and me and I want to let them know. The team has been amazing. And for our families: No worries about the red dirt we bring home on our bodies. It takes a few washings and our skin will turn its normal color and the shower will eventually rid itself of the red film. Seriously we are a little dirty, but we love it!!

Good night all. Thank you for your prayers and for sending us. We have truly see God at work.

Talk to you tomorrow
CRT

No comments: