James 1:27

James 1:27

Saturday, June 12, 2010






Greetings from Jinja district!!

Well today was another incredible day. We were back at His Mercy Christian School for orphans and vulnerable children in the
village of Mayuge. We had Mike and Jody working on the classrooms again. Mike was putting his skills to use and finding new ways to do some things on the construction. He was also making new friends with the workers who yesterday were not sure what to think of these Muzungus (white people). But Mike was learning names and sharing his trail mix and they never had a chance to not love him! The picture you see is Mike and Edwards brother, Muhamudu, working on the classrooms.

Jonah, Elizabeth, Susan, and I played games with the kids. Soccer and bubbles are always a hit!
Elizabeth also entertained hundreds with a hackey sack. It was hilarious to hear all the shouts of children to Jonah (Jonah, Jonah!!) and Elizabeth (madam) as they try and get there attention. Today we also became the games for the children; Elizabeth, Jonah, and I would get surrounded and the children would tell us how to say things in Lusoga and then quiz us on them! Needless to say I could not keep up! And course it is entertaining for the children to hear us speaking their language. They get a huge laugh out of that! We also danced and sang songs like twinkle twinkle little star, the itsy bitsy spider, and Jesus loves the little children. Jody started the kids in some jumping and running races. They loved it when he would start shouting low, low, low and everyone would crouch lower and lower; then we would all jump and yell Higher! The kids loved that. Oh yeah, we also led the kids in the Hog Call. That's right. They can now call those hogs!

We bought some medicine to help with parasites as Susan and Genessa noticed many of the kids had parasites. We were able to help 200 children in our make shift clinic. Jonah was awesome again by stepping up and helping Susan count out the meds and give them to the families. Susan is just amazing. Her heart for these kids and wanting to help is inspiring. I love to see her interact. She is always holding babies and talking to mothers and making kids laugh. Love it!!

Well I got to see my little angel again today. She did not have her razorback beanie baby; but it was her for sure! One of the teachers told me her name and I got a chance to talk to her. I told her that her toy from yesterday was my favorite and she (ever so quietly. I had trouble hearing her) looked up and thanked me (the teacher translated). Her name is Namgobi Erina and she has a beautiful little spirit. Full of joy and life. Her face, or skull I should say, has a slight deformity but I think she is beautiful. Such a sweet little girl. I did get my pic with her as well!

I also got to know 2 other girls around 10 or so. They hung around Jonah and I and they were great. Always interpreting for me and interacting with me.
Florence is a go getter. Not shy at all. She just smiled and laughed during all games. What a joy to be around. Stella has one eye that is basically shut permanently. She is quiet and a bit shy, but she smiles a lot and she became a fast friend. She loved playing the name game in her language. These 2 girls were absolute joys to be around today. They always helped us keep our circle big for soccer. They helped others kids. I loved it!!

Finally, we made every kids day when we said we would be back tomorrow at
2pm to show a film! Standing ovation!

Oh yeah, Jody and I brought pics out of our wives and family and showed them to the kids. A lot of the children asked Jonah where his mother was and when they learned he was my son they loved that! I was told I had beautiful women in my family by Stella!! The children also wanted to know when my wife and daughter were coming to visit them in
Uganda and I told them soon! Every child kept saying Sir and asking to look at the pics. It was great to see them so excited to see our families!!

We headed back to the hotel to clean up after a late lunch and then headed to
Bujagali Falls. This is the first rapid we hit when we float the Nile. It is intense!!! I have included a pic to give you an idea of what we get to experience. This is a class 5 rapid!

Finally, I learned this school needs a bore hole for water. The spring they use (as does the entire village) is not too far away, but most of the children do not have access to safe drinking water. Edward is going to have someone check on the water table around the school. We think it may be on the low end, of $3,000, to build one. This village is where we want to put in some clean water and start the next chicken project. Be praying! I included a pic of the current water well.

Good night everyone. I pray this blog has been a blessing to you. I think sharing what the team is able to do while here is a great way to let you be a part of the trip. I pray it is doing that.

Thank you for your prayers... Good night!

CRT

No comments: