James 1:27

James 1:27

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these..."


Blog post 6/10/15

 “Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” -Matthew 25:40



It was a good day. Today we finished the medical clinics for this trip. I shared yesterday the frustrations from the local leaders.  While frustrating, I recognize they are trying to care for their people. In this culture it is considered rude to not help if you have the means to help another. The local chairman has the means, so he is trying to help. It creates other roadblocks and is not fair, but we manage through it and still God provides the way to care for everyone.

 Edward and I came up with a plan to hand out the cards to see the doctor and it worked for the most part. We still started off rocky, but managed to get the patients lined up and started seeing the doctors.

 
I did have handle the local chairman and teachers asking for cards to hand out, but our system worked. I was the only one who had cards and only Edward and Mondi could sign up names. I was able to say the cards were finished after we handed out 375. We ended up seeing over 400 today not including wound care. So for the two day clinic we saw over 800 people. Wow!

 

Dr. Robina
The team was fantastic again. We talked about the story of the loaves and fishes and how God did that for us with the Doctors and medicines. We had a smooth operation in place and the doctors we work with are incredible people. Christ allowed us to be His hands and feet. It is humbling to be here and serving. The people are very grateful for us coming and getting to see the doctor. Even when I had to say we had no more cards and they could not see a doctor (the hardest thing I have ever had to do) they still say thank you. People waited for two days to see a doctor. To be able to make them laugh, shake their hand, show them love and that they matter is still hard to process when we can’t give them all they need.

 

I was able to walk an elderly lady from the pharmacy today to the entrance of the school so she could get home. She was bent at the waist and walked in the shape of an “L”. Probably 70-80 years old. I held her hand and we walked the length of the campus as Mondi interpreted for me. I asked about her home and how far away was it. I spoke some Lusoga and made her laugh. I called her grandmother and made her laugh some more. I was honored to help her today. She was a beautiful soul.
 
These are the types of things we be to do. They seem small, like the concept of just being present, but the impact and value to people's lives is huge.

 

Katie at wound care.
Katie was our wound care champ again today. She is so great with the kids. Taking care of wounds and dressing them. She is always smiling! Today she helped clean the wounds of a lady who had a kerosene lantern explode on her two days ago. Face was badly burned. One of the worst wounds we have ever seen. Katie was kind and loving while working tenderly to dress her wounds with grace. 

Matt ad Katherine are always with the kids, as well. When they aren’t helping in any capacity in the clinic. Katherine is basically a full dentist in Uganda. She pulled 20 teeth on her own today. They both got pulled on stage with Edward to dance with the children. They had a sash tied around their waist and followed the kids lead. The screams and laughter! It was a beautiful sight! They both are amazing young people.

Melissa and Sarah ruled the pharmacy; steady and strong, always filling another script. They both do an amazing job. After two days they are planning on going to Walgreens back home and help them fill scripts!

 Greg was the bouncer at the door to the doctors. He worked with Josh, a law student and son of Dr. Moses. They kept the order of the cards in numerical order. Making sure everyone got seen in order. Greg has been in awe of Africa since we arrived. He is a rock star with a group of young boys at the school. Every time he comes out of the door way, there they are. Attached to him. He engages everyone, laughs and asks how he can help. I love serving with him. He has been a steady presence for me. Grateful for his friendship.

 
Dr. Moses
Dr. Moses... He is a wonderful man. I love working with him, he works hard caring for his people. He is a huge man with a large laugh and humble prayer. What a Great man.

 

Tomorrow we head back to the school to spend the day with the children in various activities. The entire team is excited. It will be more relaxed with time directly engaging with the kids. Going to be fantastic! Oh, and I talked to a group of the girls I’ve known from over the years. They had me get in stage and dance with them. I was pretty good. We plan to dance tomorrow again. They are planning to bring the entire team up to dance, as well! The team is going to love it!

 

Viola, Mercy and Reagan
I got to see Viola, Reagan, and Mercy today again. We spent a lot of time just walking and talking throughout the day. Such sweet children. I love their smile, gentle spirit and shyness. Mama Jessica brought me a gift of hard boiled eggs. The team ate them on the bus. What an incredible gift. This is a big deal in their culture; I have a hard time accepting, but I do to honor the family. I love them so much. Her generosity was humbling. I Love this little family in Uganda! Next to Edward and Julie and the boys they are the ones I cannot wait to see each trip!

What a Great day. Many people were cared for, treated and loved. The team was giving and selfless going the extra mile. We are blessed for sure just by being here and serving. 

Please, keep the prayers coming. We have all been well and healthy for the most part. We have two days of ministry left and then a free day. Sunday after worship we begin the long travel home.

 

God's blessings. And good night from Jinja.

Chris

No comments: