James 1:27

James 1:27

Friday, June 12, 2015

Finish the Race

Blog post 6/12/15



 "However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me-the task of testifying to the good news of God's grace." Acts 20:24


The day started early for Greg, Melissa, Katie, Katherine, ad I as we headed with Edward and Mondi to the top of Bugembe Hill to watch the sun rise. If you hit it right the view is spectacular. Unfortunately it was a little too cloudy and so we got some beautiful clouds with color but not a sunrise. We did get to see the view from the other side if the hill of Jinja town and pray over the country. It was a special time.

The team then headed back to His Mercy School for our last day of ministry.  It is a sad time for us as we know we will not see these kids or the country for at least another year; we did plan to pour into the kids today and enjoy every minute of grace we got to experience.

We arrived and the children were in class, so we took a break under the shade and enjoyed just being there. I looked around the campus again and just was in awe of what God has done. Amazing. It was emotional for me and I just smiled and said a prayer of thanks.
Then we hit the work again. Greg and Sarah started hauling dirt into the new nursery building with wheelbarrows. Katie, Katherine, Matt, Melissa, and I started to finish the painting with Mondi.  Today it was hot. Not much of a breeze and the sun was perfect for no shade where we were painting.  But we got to work.

The kids would call our names outside the window of the classrooms. I am sure the teachers love our disruption. We also had an audience during recess. Talk about pressure!

Lunch was served and we had another traditional meal. Lots of rice, beans, hard boiled eggs, cassava, posho, eggplant, jack fruit, and pineapple. We took our time because we did not want to leave too soon.
But work called us back and as we were going it started to rain. What a welcomed comfort! It cooled things down, but did make painting a little strange! The children were under the awning and in the rooms to escape the rain so we basically had a crowd all around us trying to paint. This is Africa!


But then the work was done, and from the picture I would say not a bad job by the Muzungus!

We spent a little more time with the kids while cleaning up the paint from ourselves. We said our goodbyes and you could tell no one wanted to leave. We tried to get as much time with our sponsored kids and all the others we have fallen in love with!

I got a chance to talk, laugh and share how to pronounce many things in English and then learn to say them in Lusoga. I danced a little and answered way more questions than I can remember!

So many children that I have seen grow up over the years. They make me smile. They fill my heart and soul. I am blessed to know them.

After leaving school we got to be a part of something else fantastic! We went to Katie's sponsored child's family so she could give them a goat; plus we went to Mama Jessica’s and I have her 5 chickens from my family. We also got to witness Katherine giving a goat and a chicken to her sponsored child’s family. The joy and celebration from the families is so wonderful to be a part of. I love being there and witnessing it. It blows me away at the gratitude and excitement a simple gift can bring. A touch of grace and heaven.



The team ended the day with dinner at Edward’s father’s home. Paul is an incredible man who has a farm and has a biogas tank that he fills with cow dung.  The tank pulls methane gas to his house to power the lights and the stove. Unbelievable. We got to sit on the front lawn and enjoy a feast. He prepared a great spread for us. It is an honor to be at his home.

So many wonderful people God has connected us with. Pastor Edward and his family are my family. I have grown to love and care deeply for them. Edward is such a wonderful servant and leader. He has a vision for educating the children with a biblical foundation. I truly believe he is raising up future leaders for the country. I love my brother. I do not want to think about having to say good bye so soon.

Tomorrow is our free day. The team is going to sleep in (we all need it!) and then go to the source of the Nile, as well as, then into Jinja town for a lazy day. Tomorrow we will have our annual pizza award dinner and then church with Edward Sunday morning before starting our long travel home.

Please pray for Sarah as she is not feeling great. Prayer for our last day to be a day of ministry even though it is a free day. Please, pray also for our team to stay well and enjoy the last remaining hours in country.  And lastly, pray for our safe travel home and the protection of our families.

Thank you for your support and following our adventures. We have had an incredible trip. The stories you will hear from your friend/family member will break your heart and make you smile. You will meet beautiful people via pictures and descriptions. Give them some space as they return. There is always a lot to process. And they will need some time and space; when they are ready to talk… oh the stories. Get ready.

And please remember... The red dirt will eventually wash off them and even your tub! It just takes some time!

God bless you and talk to you soon!
Chris

No comments: