James 1:27

James 1:27

Friday, June 13, 2014

"We can do no great things, only small things with great love." - Mother Teresa



Today was a little different again for the team. We split up into two groups with one going to the Ekisia orphanage and the other back to His Mercy School in Kikubo.

The group at Eksia was Chris H., Olivia, Katie, Leigh, Allison, and Diane. They had a great time with the children and it was exciting to hear Chris, Leigh, and Katie be able to put their talents and skills in therapy to work!

The rest of us headed back to the school.... But not before the entire team went to the local prison. We have visited here before. It is where people who have been arrested are held while they go through the court system. On our way we stopped and bought blankets, soap, and razors for the prisoners. Yes I said razors. I have been here before but it is always a strange feeling to enter through the gate. We are among the prisoners and guards when we walk through the court yard. Jody, Matt, Naomi, and I spoke to the prisoners and shared our faith. I was intimidated. I felt unfit to speak anything of value to the men. I have not walked in their shoes. I simply shared my faith and the love of Christ. I shared that we all have made bad decisions and choices. We all have hurt others and taken advantage of other people. I shared that Christ died and rose again to save us all because He loves us all. No matter what we have done. Jesus came to give us life and life to the fullest no matter where we are or what we have done. I hope I was able to be used by God. I can only share and plant a seed.

Matt and Naomi were fantastic. These young people are wise and strong. I am honored to serve and know them and call them friends.

Jody shared his life story and once again was great. He really resonated and many of the men chose to follow Christ. The God of second, and many more, chances. God desired for those men to be free before they walk out of prison.

Our team that went to the school were going to paint some classrooms, help build the library, and play with kids (surprise!). As we pulled in the skies began to rain again. We are currently in the middle of the rainy season (ends in July). While the rain brings cooler temps it also turns red dirt roads to red mud! Which gets everywhere! The ladies cooked lunch for us again and it was a feast. The chapatti was pretty good today, but not as good as yesterday! :)

The rain eventually subsided so we could get out and begin to actually do something! Kariel, Jody, Matt, Benson, and I began painting the outside of the classrooms with primer. Edward is going to paint them red with yellow trim. I was not quite prepared to paint, so I ended up with white splatters all over my arms and head. I must say we did a good job for Muzungus! Mondi (he is one of our helpers and a member of Edward's church. He is a great man and good friend. I enjoy my time with him) told me the work I was doing was "not bad". When assessing Kariel's work he told her she was "very very ok". Seems Mondi was happier with Kariel's work. Oh well.

We ended up waiting for the team from the orphanage to arrive while playing with the children. I love times like this. We simply interact and answer questions while we learn each other’s names. There is a lot of laughter and fun with simply being in the now with the kids. I love that. So many children I have seen the last few years are getting older. They ask me about America and I still have some of them asking where my son is! I show them pictures of Jonah and Kysia (the girls all tell me I have a beautiful wife!). They all are so surprised and love that I am here with my daughter. So special of a time. No agenda but to be with them. Kariel always seems to have a few girls holding her hand and arms. She is never alone here! I am so proud of my girl. She has been amazing. Today she jumped right in the middle of a game with the children and their teacher. And the kids accepted her right in and loved it!

We ended the day with the entire team having dinner at Edward's father’s home. He has done this for us the last few years and it is truly an honor. They lay out a full Ugandan spread and we sit in front of his house on his lawn to eat and fellowship. Tonight we had a bonus... Little fish and a Rollex. The Rollex is a street vendor food made of chapatti with egg, onions, and peppers rolled inside. Never had it before and it was great! Little fish was a new dish, as well.  Let’s just say it was not my favorite. But I did try it. Mr Magumba is a wonderful man with an incredible story. He was a mechanic in the army during the time of Idi Amin. When Amin was overthrown he was out as a political prisoner for 5 years. He lived in Kampala with his brother for a while after getting out of prison, but could it make any money. He moved to Maygue district and became a farmer. His home is powered by solar and methane gas which he installed and set up himself. Mr Magumba and Edward’s mom divorced when Edward was 1. His mother did not allow him to see his father, but when he was 16, he and his sister left and found their dad to reconnect. Edward's father donated the first strip of land the school sits on currently. I am always honored to be welcomed in his home.

It was a great day. We were stretched outside our comfort zones. We put our hands to work physically. Some got to use their talents and skills to be a blessing. And we all got to simply be present and share the love of Christ.

God used us all in various ways today. Small ways, but with great love.

Peace and blessings,

Chris

Side note... Couple of things we have learned this trip... One, after having Chris drive our dear bus "Rosa" for our team the last 6 years we learned today his name is not Chris. It is Grace, but the Ugandans have trouble rolling the r and it sounds like Chris. Neither Edward nor Grace have ever corrected us. Silly Americans.... Second, it seems that Ashley is super ready to float the “Amazon” river on Saturday. That.... Should be awesome!

No comments: