James 1:27

James 1:27

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Additional thoughts from the last two days of clinic...

Kysia and I were exhausted last night, so the blog post was a short summary. As I am sitting this morning having a cup of coffee I think back to some of the stories that we wanted to share. There was Abraham an 88 year old man who had the largest and brightest smile I have ever seen. He used to be a policeman for the Queen of England and was a delight to walk with and talk to. There was Astra. An elderly woman who could barely walk that I was honored to usher from the doctors to the prayer room and to the pharmacy. I let her hold my arm to steady herself and while we could not understand each other it was beautiful to see her smile. I called her grandmother to everyone and she just laughed! Kysia prayed with three siblings who all accepted Christ together. She also prayed with and for, many with HIV. Kysia was able to pray blessing over many children and she prayed for God to bless their futures. I also want to brag on Samantha. She has worked the pharmacy and is always smiling and always working. She is just a sweet spirit and it has been great for Kysia and I to get to know her. Being a med student she got to sit in with the doctors for some time. What a great experience! Such a lovely lady. Morgan and Audrey are rock stars with the kids. They run and laugh and just get right in the middle of things and the kids love it. These ladies just rock it. Keith has now graduated From Ugandan dental school. He is assisting Jacqueline and learning to pull some teeth! Richard has been in wound care the last two days and he is amazing. Richard sings and tells stories while treating wounds and the kids just soak it all in and laugh! Richard is fantastic with the kids and he is so talented to treat wounds and tell stories and sing songs and just engage them. I love to see Richard serving these children! We love to see the smiles and thankfulness from the elderly when we talk to them and hold their hand. It touches my heart to see how blessed they are. We simply are engaging them as people and equals and letting them know they mater to us and to God. Touching. And a little of bit of culture that I still find wild to experience. When a man wants to visit with you in private he will grab your hand and walk with you. This is a sign to others that the two of you are in a private conversation. It is still a little shocking the first time it happens to me each trip. One of my friends will grab my hand (fingers interlocked) and walk with me to visit on whatever. It is not as strange by the end of the trip, it always catches me off guard! Just wanted to share some culture with you. We are headed to Koch Chorom this morning to worship in the UMC church. Bishop Wandabula will be there as we dedicate the first permanent UMC church building in Northern Uganda. I love African church. It is long and active and just filled with passion. The team is getting ready to dance! God bless you all. Talk to you tonight. Chris and Kysia

No comments: