James 1:27

James 1:27

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Last Day of Medical Clinics in Koch Chorom




Well the last clinic of our trip is done and in the books. It was another great day, but much more difficult. There were lots more people and once again we had to turn people away which is still difficult. The weather was good, but very hot and humid. We had a slight breeze which helped. Everyone is very tired tonight. We are worn down, but our spirits are high because of the great ministry we have experienced.

Once again the pharmacy was running very smooth, and that helps things overall. The ladies in the pharmacy were grace under pressure and always with a smile when I was back there. Once again the pharmacy ladies were amazing. Great job Traci, Dottie, Allison, Erica, Randi, Cheryl, and Connie.

Richard, Emily, and Dottie ran wound care again. This part of the clinic if always busy and the team really was the hands and feet of Christ. They see many types of open wounds on the feet and legs since most have no shoes. I forgot to report yesterday that they saw a man with a gunshot wound in the leg that he got from the War in 1996. Incredible. There was not much we could do for him, but clean and dress it to alleviate some pain. The local doctors were going to try and get him to a hospital for surgery. Breaks my heart. Great job wound care team! You were amazing.

I said it yesterday and I will say it again. Mike is the man. He is the face of the team and has the hardest job. I got to move from assisting him to running point on triage and handing out slips to see the doctor. I failed miserably in my short 15 minute term. Mike stepped in and rescued me and I went back to assisting which I am better at. Mike has to listen to the needs and decide who is an emergency and who gets to see the doctor and then delivers the bad news that the clinic is done. But every time he is loving and kind and graceful. I love my brother Mike! Les and Jonathan helped usher again. Talk about great men of faith. They loved and treated everyone with respect. Walking people to the pharmacy and prayer you get to treat them with dignity and ask their name. People love talking to the Munu (white person in the North; Mazungu in the South). Both these men have been all smiles trying find ways to improve the process or sharing their faith. I was blessed to serve wit these men!

Susan and Diane assisted with the doctors and dentist. They were amazing again. Never complaining and always smiling and caring for every patient. They both did not want to take a break till the last possibly minute and even volunteered to step in and help in other places. Actually all the team was very flexible and willing to do anything to help. This team has been so amazing.

I also want to tell you about a moment of pure grace today. There was a teenage boy with cerebral palsy who was at the clinic both days. He was very nice and had a wonderfully big smile. I always shook his hand when I passed by him and made sure to stop an spend time with him a few times. He touched my heart. Today as the clinic was starting he showed up; Mike, Susan and I were visiting with him and some other children. Susan pulled out some handi wipes and we gave them to he children. This young man (I could never find out his name) got one and you could tell he was not sure what to do with it. Then Mike and Susan each grabbed a wipe and began cleaning off his face. You should have seen the smile and look on his face. It was pure joy. My teammates were treating him with respect and love. People with disabilities are shunned in the communities due to misunderstanding and it is unfortunate. But I shed a small tear standing there (thank goodness for sunglasses) and my heart was moved. This is why we come. To let people know they are valued and have worth and are loved. By us and by God. Touching moment.

Things got a bit chaotic as the clinic was winding down and people began to be more aggressive in trying to get to see the doctor. It is hard to turn people away. So difficult, but the blessings more then outweigh the difficulties.

The prayer room was rocking again! Sue and Tony continued to share the gospel and lift up peoples concerns and man people began their faith journey! I do not have all the details but I did hear that there was a demon cast out of someone in the prayer room. They were harming their children and the local pastors knew the situation. But Tony and Sue lifted them up to the Lord and deliverance happened. I have seen many things in Africa I do not see at home. I have learned to trust in God and He will always be there. I cannot always find an answer for these things so, I pray and trust. I have seen God do amazing things. Spiritual and physical healing!

We heard from our hosts and many of the people that they were open to hearing the gospel because we keep coming back. How awesome is that? This is what we desired to do when we first came in 2007 on the scouting trip - to develop relationships and help a community. We are not Americans who swoops in for a couple of weeks and tell the people what to do or how to live. We are the church, the hands and feet of Christ, who come to love, share and help as best as we can while partnering with and empowering the local church. This partnership and community opens doors with love and consistency. Love that!

I got to do one of my least favorite and uncomfortable things today. I went with Dr. Moses, Sam Mdune, Jody, Tim, Tony, and Pastor Solomon to visit the Regional District Chairman of the Nwoya district where Koch Chorom is located. This is a new district formed out of a larger district in the North. I did not catch his name. He is appointed by the President and reports directly to the President. How did I get there? I am a guy from Arkansas and I was siting in meeting with a man who talks weekly to the President of Uganda! Crazy! He was very appreciative of what we were doing and commended faith based groups for helping the Gulu district recover from the war. Then my least favorite part happened. He said that what we needed to do next time was fix the hospital, fill it with equipment and supplies, and staff it with doctors. Dealing with politicians is way outside my comfort zone, but it is a part of what we do; he gives his permission for us to be here and he can be an advocate for the local church. It just seemed strange to be sitting at the hospital, where his office is for now, and be talking to such a high powered man in Uganda. How does this happen to some guys from Arkansas? Only with God!


Tomorrow part of the team will be sharing and teaching at a pastors conference at the church in Layibi where we did training last year. After The team is introduced and share in some worship (yes!) I will be leading those not teaching or sharing to visit The Invisible Children's office and, hopefully, to the World Vision Children of War Rehabilitation Center. This is the place where this all started with an article I read about the war and their work with the child soldiers who are rescued. It is holy ground to us. Please pray we can make this visit happen. I want to share the story of what God is doing through is place.

Good night. I am worm out from the bus rides on African roads. The team was amazing and has really enjoyed getting to know each other and serving alongside one another. Please keep us I your prayers. We travel to Jinja on Friday (babboons!) and then Saturday we hang out in Jinja town and look in the shops and begin our long journey home that night.

Your team member has been a blessing to the people of Uganda. Be very proud of them.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Chris

No comments: