James 1:27

James 1:27

Saturday, July 1, 2017

We Love Because He First Loved Us


Methodist Conference Center
July 1, 2017

 Some days we work hard - like in the medical clinic or a full day of construction. Others we take a slower approach and simply enjoy being able to fellowship and show love to others. Today was that kind of day.

The team started with breakfast and team devotions. I don't think I have
mentioned this, but the team is reading through the book "Unstoppable" by Christine Caine. The book talks about running the race you were born to win. As followers of Christ we are all in God's divine race to show His love to the world. Being a runner I really connect with the examples in the book; plus, I see a lot of the Uganda mission project in the book.

This morning Greg led a devotion on chapter 2 - Impossible is God's Starting Point. The author talks about being ready to follow Jesus and do His will. We all feel like we are never ready when we are handed the baton to run our part of the divine relay. I know I have, and still feel that way in many things. But there is a big difference between feeling ready and being ready. When God calls us.... we are ready.

I remember when I first heard of Uganda, the war, and child soldiers. It broke my heart and called me to action, but I was still in my comfort zone. When the opportunity came through my church to actually go to Uganda and meet people, I did not feel ready (got to love Jody Farrell who upon hearing about this passion in my heart but not sure what to do simply said to me, “Then let's go!”). When I met a guy named Eddie on MySpace and he invited me to come visit him if I was ever in Uganda (60 days before we were to leave on the scouting trip in 2007) I knew there was no way I was ready to fly 10,000 miles and meet a guy I met on the internet!

 But guess what? I had decided earlier I was not going to let anything stand in between me and God. I had said, “yes” to God when I didn't even know the question. I felt inadequate. Big time. But we went to Uganda anyway. We met Pastor Edward at the airport (Two weeks after meeting him via MySpace, part of our trip was canceled; we had 3 days open in our schedule. So… we called Edward and made plans to meet him. The relationship and the ongoing story Eleven years later are truly a divine connection only God could have made. I think God was working things for the good of His glory.) I left my comfort zone to grab the baton being handed to me and run like crazy! It all seemed impossible in 2006-2007.

 Today, looking back, if you would have told me then all the trips and
the relationships, projects, impact of the gospel that would be happening in Gulu and Jinja - I would have said, “That is impossible. We are only one church.” But impossible is where God starts.

Our team today talked about not feeling ready when God called. We talked about not feeling ready to come to Uganda the first time or this trip for various reasons. We encouraged each other. It was good to remember we are all doing something we all thought would be impossible at some point in the past. To Him who is able to do more than we could ever imagine be the glory.

Then we left for Iriaga UMC. This is one of the Methodist plants and is located in Gulu town. They are building a conference center next the church that will house pastors for training. The walls are up and the roof is being added.  We got there and loaded some of the roof beams and helped with clean-up around the site. We stacked bricks and carried beams. A decent day’s work.

We also got to play with some kids; this team, like all teams, loves the children!


We brought out the jump rope. Leigh and Sarah asked if they knew how to jump rope. The children proceeded to show us some serious skills. Up to four of them jumping at once! Jumping on their knees then in and out of the moving ropes to take turns. Effortless! It was awesome! Then.... they called for us to try!

Some of our team was pretty good. Others of us struggled. But everyone, Ugandan and Americans laughed and jumped.  We simply enjoyed being together. (Even the local pastors took part!)

 A game of Duck Duck Goose broke out for a little bit. There was some
singing and dancing. It was fun spending time with the children and adults sharing Christs love just by being present.

As a gift the pastors and construction leaders (Peter and Patrick) brought us some fruit to enjoy. The best pineapple we have ever had. Oranges. And my favorite... passion fruit. The fruit was such a special gift given from their hearts, shared from what they have.
 

As lunch time was approaching the team split. Leigh and Sarah went to spend lunch and a few hours with Pastor Douglas (Iriaga UMC) and his family in their home. Both of them and their families have sort of adopted Pastor Douglas’ family into theirs. It was good they had time for fellowship and a good visit.

The rest of our group headed back to the hotel for lunch and then on a
little adventure. We walked into town and strolled through Gulu a bit. We ended up in the main market and perused along the stalls of fresh vegetables, dried and fresh fish, clothes, live animals, dishes, etc. We all enjoyed getting out and walking in the town for a bit. On the way back -ice cream!

 All of the team traveled to Koch Goma to see the new Methodist church under construction. Pastor Peter, the leader of this church is a man of many laughs and always starts and ends sentences with his trademark "Wow!" Pastor Peter is
Koch Goma
also a farmer, builder, as well as, great man of faith. I love being around him. So grateful for all God has done for him. We toured the church building, pray over it, and his leadership. Such a special time of fellowship to be able to share in the blessings we all have experienced these last eleven years.

Koch Goma is a former displacement camp that now stands as a village. The church has been present for a number of years (we held a medical clinic there in 2009). It is so exciting to see the growth.

Ugandans always amaze me with their creativity, passion, and ingenuity. Pastor Peter started a banana plantation and honey bee project to sell goods creating funds to support the outreach of the church. I love that! All the Methodist church pastors in Uganda have projects for their church. These projects provide jobs and help with the operating expenses of the church and outreaches.  Pastor Edward has one, as well for the church and school in Buwenda.
Pastor Peter is in the middle.  Yellow t-shirt.
 

Tomorrow is church. We will start at Achwang UMC for a couple, of hours and then travel to Opit for another church visit. It will be a great day of fellowship, singing, dancing, and worshipping as the global family of God. Pastor Edward will be preaching with Leigh and Carly sharing their testimonies.

The team continues to be amazing. Always encouraging, supporting and jumping into serving and adventures together. Please, continue to pray for us. Health is still good for everyone when the heat and dehydration hits for a short while. 


Thank you friends and family!

Good night till tomorrow.

Chris


p.s. Carly finally got to eat some sugar cane... mark another one off her Uganda bucket list. 

 

 



Sent from my iPad

 

No comments: